Friday, March 18, 2011

Field Trip

This week I have been on spring break. Spring break means something totally different as a returning adult college student with kids than as a 21 year old college student. This week I've cleaned the house, got caught up on laundry, and got out the girls' summer clothes. Yippee. But I wanted to do something fun, so Wednesday I surprised the girls with a trip to the Newport Aquarium. I've wanted to visit the aquarium forever, but David just grumbles about it being too expensive. So after he left for work, the girls and I and the GPS were on our way.

I never realized that the aquarium was located at this awesome riverfront plaza. Thank goodness we had the GPS. It was very confusing to find! I was very impressed with the aquarium. There were a bunch of these aquarium tunnels where fish, turtles, sharks, etc would all swim overhead. It was very cool. Unfortunately however the girls were very afraid of many of the animals. And Kate was terrified of the tunnels.

I had to coerce Caroline into petting just this painting of a shark.

Now these giant Japanese Spider Crabs even freaked me out. They were creepy!

There was a room filled with tanks of jellyfish. I thought it was awesome. Kate did not.

The girls did love this interactive wall screen of jellyfish that when you "touched" would swim away. I thought the aquarium was very kid friendly.
I think the girls favorite part of the entire aquarium was getting to see Nemo.

We will definitely go back again. And I'll make sure Jonah gets to go. I think he'll love it as much as I did. Maybe I'll even manage to talk David into going. We'll see!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love the Aquarium! That said, I have only been during the annual Food and Wine event we attend there, so I'm with the girls on being a little freaked out of the tunnels (esp when a little tipsy, ha). Let me know the next time you guys stop up, I work just across the river and am always up for a break or lunch. Or, pretty soon, I'll have a little buddy of my own to bring with me : )

Ms. Thomas said...

I think David should be forced to go and wear a Baby Bjorn... didn't that happen once?

Those Japanese crabs are awesome. Did they glow?