Sunday, March 30, 2008

Manga!Manga!Manga!

Manga is the Japanese word for comics I learned recently. Jonah loves manga and Japanese animation, in particular a series called Naruto. I found out at Jonah's birthday sleep over that some kids' parents have put a ban on Naruto. I think because they consider it too violent. Well Jonah devours the books so I feel that if they encourage him to read then they're okay with me. It's not like he gets in trouble for fighting at school. Plus a banned book was the first one I would grab when I was growing up. Anyway when I found out Joseph-Beth was having a manga party this past Saturday night I thought Jonah and his best buddy would love to go. And they did. As well as a whole bunch of teenagers that were there dressed in their manga best. I almost felt like I was at a Star Trek convention. But the boys had a good time and that's what counts. Also I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction in the silence in the car on the way home as the boys read their newly purchased Naruto manga. Boy was Jonah embarrassed when I asked this guy dressed as Naruto to pose with the boys for a picture. All part of the fun of being a parent. TeeHee!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're such a cool mom!

Jennifer

Shanonita said...

ahh, thanks for keeping me up to date. if forced to guess what manga was I would have guessed a food. wouldn't i look like a super dork then?! now I can be cool and knowledgeable.
I also remember reading forbidden Stephen King books as a youngun. oh and Judy Blume, she was pretty racy.

Philip Deskins said...

I miss Bugs Bunny

Ms. Thomas said...

judy blume "Forever," remember that one? The girl actually does it in that one.

I had no idea about manga either. Not only did you know about it, Lisa, but you knew about manga events. You are one hip momma.

Jen said...

I thought Manga, Manga, Manga was what you were saying to Caroline in one of your earlier video clips : )

Lisa said...

Haha! You know I thought that sounded familiar.