Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Out and About

Yesterday we had amazing weather here in KY. It was pretty windy but the temperature may have gotten up to 70 degrees. Mother Nature loves to tease us I think because tonight the weather forecasters are calling for snow flurries. While we had the chance Caroline and I spent some glorious time out in the sunshine at the local playground. My cheeks even got a little pink.

She didn't like the swing so much which is funny considering she spent the first four months of her life in a swing.
She loved the slide however. She started scooting down as soon as I put her at the top like she's been down a slide a million times. The playground had a tunnel which was pretty entertaining, for me. At first Caroline wanted to walk through but she was too tall and would hit her head. I would try and get her to crawl through but she would freak out because she wanted to walk. I had to get some of the other kids there to show her how to crawl through. Once she crawled in she was very much enjoying it until she saw me through some of the little holes in the tunnel. Then she started trying to pull me by my hand through the hole. She was getting pretty upset until I went to the other end of the tunnel and called to her so she could see the way out. Little kids are funny.Today Caroline and I went to Jonah's school where I had volunteered to read to his class during their library period. Jonah's school is having volunteer readers all this week in celebration of Dr. Seuss' birthday. It just so happened that the mayor of Lexington and superintendent of schools were also going to read to Jonah's class. They asked me to go last. : ( I had been pretty nervous about having Caroline there and trying to read but she was really good. A couple of the little girls played with her while I read. The kids just love her. She's becoming like a little celebrity or class mascot.

Here's Mayor Newberry. Once he finished reading to the kids he had an answer and question session. He wasn't really good with the kids. Not at all. At one point he started checking his cell phone for calls or something. I had to suppress an extremely strong urge to heckle him. I don't care much for politicians. But I didn't want to embarrass Jonah or be banned from volunteering again.Here's the superintendent reading to the kids. See Jonah? The super was really good with the kids. Thank goodness! He reminded me of a nice grandpa.One of the local TV stations was even there to film them reading. (David apologizes for the poor editing.) Can you see me? I wish Jonah had made it on there. He was pretty disappointed. Local news can't get anything right!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

You can see AND hear you! That's pretty cool!! They're doing that same school thing in Colorado too. I'm glad Caroline likes the playground! They're both getting so big Lisa! I'm excited to be a little closer and see them more often!!

Jen said...

I love how she sticks her tongue out - adordable! Congrats on your local celeb status!

On a side note: When did Tom Kenny start anchoring in Lexington again? I thought he was canned after the hooker "incident" a few years ago...

Shanonita said...

caroline is such a cutie : ) i love the pic through the tunnel.