Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Flash & Me

Not long ago David and I saw the movie Marley & Me. We were both struck by how much the movie mirrors our own relationship and marriage. Some of the lines from the movie could have been direct quotes from us. In one of the scenes Jennifer Aniston, up to her eyeballs in screaming kids, bans the family dog from the house because he keeps barking and waking up the baby. I've certainly been there done that. I think it happens to a lot of people that once a baby arrives the family pets take a backseat and even become a little neglected. I know people who even found new homes for their pets once kids enter the picture. Maybe that is the more responsible thing to do. I have come very close myself to finding a new home for some of our pets. But I've never been able to go through with it.

When it comes down to it I love our pets and consider them part of the family. Like Jennifer Aniston sometimes I just about have it, like when I step in dog puke or when barking wakes a colicy baby, and pets just seem more expendable. Flash's illness however has given me a new appreciation for our pets. I know they won't be here forever and that I'll miss them terribly when they are gone. Flash is doing very well btw.

The girls and I have even made taking the dogs for walks part of our daily routine. Flash and Chase love walks. It's not easy. I carry Kate in a carrier and walk Flash. Caroline walks Chase. We think they're worth the extra effort.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sniff....


Jennifer

Jen said...

This is such a sweet post!

So, what you're saying is that even if Mike and I are ready for a dog, you're not going to let us adopt Chase? : ) I could never take her away after seeing how adorable Caroline is walking her!! : )

Susan Busch said...

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by One Year Apart and commenting on my Marley & Me post. I think this is a great post ... I agree that the movie does a very good job of conveying the (temporary) impact of a young, growing family not only on our attitudes toward our pets but also on marital harmony.

Shanonita said...

What's wrong with Chase? Sorry to hear he isn't well.