Monday, April 09, 2007

New Arrival!

Well, she's finally here! Caroline Mae was born on Friday, April 6 at 2:45 pm weighing 7 lbs 2 ozs and 18 3/4 ins long. I didn't get any sleep last night but we're excited to share our news. Thursday night at midnight I started having contractions about 3-5 minutes apart for over an hour. The doctor told us to head for the hospital. Once we were at the hospital however, my contractions slowed way down. The nurse told us we could go home or wait for the doctor to arrive later to be induced. Well we figured since we were already there, I might as well get induced. They started the pitocin at 11. The dr broke my water at 12, after which David and my dr watched the news conference on tv announcing the new UK basketball coach. (I knew UK basketball would somehow be involved with my child's birth.) A little after 2 I told David to get the nurse so I could get an epidural. The contractions were getting extremely painful. The nurse told me I was only 3-4 cms dilated but that she would order the epidural. The contractions kept getting worse and soon I felt the urge to push. David frantically called the nurse who frantically got the dr. Next thing we know, Caroline was born. It all happened in a matter of minutes. The nurses and dr were all very surprised. I'm still waiting for the epidural.

Here's a few photos we have so far...

6 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations! (Where did the name come from - i.e. family names?)

Also, Jonah already looks like he's being a great big brother!

Amber Moles said...

No epidural?! Lisa you are awesome! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

David picked the name Caroline. He saw it on some name list and fell in love with it. Mae was my maternal grandmother's middle name (who's birthday happened to be April 1st).

Anonymous said...

How cute is the photo of Dave with her?! Also, I don't know how you made it through that with no epidural. I will have to have JD adminiter mine before we leave the house. You think they would give him a personal supply?
Congrats mom and dad!
MeagnD

Jana said...

Congratualtions!!! I have some things for Caroline that I will send down this weekend if Amber is still coming. She's so cute!

Ms. Thomas said...

How amazing. You guys make good babies. I love the name... Caroline Mae.

I'm really proud of you, Lisa, for the au natural courage, and you, Dave, for not running to get a beer when you were on your way to request an epidural for your laboring.

I wonder if someday Jonah will be organizing Ski Trip 30 while Caroline secures the kegs...