Thursday, February 24, 2011

Happy 12th Birthday!

Twelve years ago today my baby boy was born. I actually thought that I was having a girl. I had a pretty normal pregnancy, so I only had one ultrasound. At that ultrasound the baby wouldn't cooperate no matter how hard the tech shook my belly. Then she said, "I'm about 90% sure that you are going to have a girl." When I told family and friends that, they went nuts buying girl stuff, especially my mother. Her name was going to be Chloe Elise. Imagine my surprise when the doctor said, "You have a beautiful baby girl! Wait a minute..." Luckily I already had the name Jonah Benjamin picked out. That 10% chance of a boy kept nagging at me. I heard the name Jonah on A Baby Story (which if you are a woman whose been pregnant you have watched) and then heard the name again later the same day in the movie Sleepless in Seattle. So I guess it was fate...

I carried that little boy in my belly for 42 weeks! His initial due date was January 19 but was moved to February 9th after the ultrasound. After Jan 19th however I kept thinking any day now, any day now, any day now. It seemed like an ETERNITY. They don't even let people go that long anymore, thank goodness! They induced me in the morning and after 15 long, non-epidural hours (I had wanted to try and go au natural.) at 2:42 am my baby was born weighing 8lbs 1oz. I'll never forget when the nurses put him in my arms and I said, "Hi Jonah. I'm your mommy." It was love at first sight. I love you Jonah Benjamin. Happy birthday!

7 comments:

Megan said...

Man, getting a little teary here. Happy Birthday Jonah!!!!

Jen said...

I don't think I've ever heard J-man's "birth story" ... crazy!

Wasn't it just yesterday that you posted about him turning 10 and getting to double digits??!!

Happy Birthday Jonah!!!

Philip Deskins said...

He's turned out to be one fine young man. You have done an awesome job raising the boy. I can only hope that my kid turns out to be a good kid like Jonah.

Lisa said...

Awwww! Thank you Phil! That brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

First off, Philip, our kid probably isn't going to be a good kid. She's half mine, which means trouble!

Now, onto the important stuff....Jonah, happy birthday! I have to agree that you are growing up so fast! You look more and more like a young man every time Philip and I come over. I think you're the best big brother Caroline and Kate could have ever hoped for. I'm always impressed by how nurturing and caring you are toward your little sisters. We're really excited that you'll be around when our kid gets here!

I really expect you to be a teenager (I know that's next year, but you're on the cusp) that adults enjoy being around. Philip and I think you're aces!

Jennifer

Ms. Thomas said...

Awww, Lisa. How can he be 12? How can anyone I know have a 12 year old?!

He is an awesome kid, and I know my mom says you can't take all the credit since you don't deserve all the blame, but kids don't get as good as yours are without a mom like you. You make them happy and good. Happy giving birth day!

handbags-club said...

vivienne westwood bracelet vivienne westwood necklace vivienne westwood shoes vivienne westwood vivienne westwood bags vivienne westwood bracelets vivienne westwood earrings vivienne westwood vivienne westwood jewellery vivienne westwood rings 7fd4b2e561e Vivienne Westwood Shorts vivienne westwood jewelry mens vivienne westwood clothing