Saturday, February 11, 2012

Put Your Feet Up

When David and I moved into this house, I had my stuff and he had his. And I made him get rid of a lot of his. Except his beloved recliner. "But it's like thirty years old!" he'd say. Sounds like it's time to go to me. But we kept it. It was upstairs for a long time. And then I talked him into finally getting rid of it (like 5+ years later). We had it out on the front lawn. Then once again, he went into his spiel about what a great chair it was and how much he loved it. "Okay let's put it on the back porch for now," I sighed.

My mom came to visit not much later and I started to complain about D's icky chair. Mom just looked at me and said, "Let the man have his chair." Sometimes it just takes a different point of view to see things differently and to change your mind. And I decided yes, if it means that much to him, let him have it. He works very hard, picking up over time, for us that if he wants to relax at the end of the day in his beloved recliner then so be it. But he had to get a cover for it.

Now someone else loves it too and takes her naps in it.
(In fact she's taking a nap in it as I type this!)

4 comments:

Ames said...

Oh, that recliner... I'm glad you didn't make him get rid of it. That thing's got some history. I've taken many a nap in that thing myself :)

Jen said...

I had no idea that recliner was still kickin' ... love that it's moved on to nap with an entirely new generation! I had the same issue when Mike wanted a recliner in our family room ... I thought it would make the room look "sloppy" and then realized that comfort wins over style and he deserves a "man chair" after all he does for us. Ironically, I think I sit in it more than he does : )

Ms. Thomas said...

Oh, that recliner... I guess at this point it deserves some respect if only for the simple fact that it has never been caught on fire.

Good call on the cover. And kudos to you for giving in and allowing his happiness even though it's kind of gross ;)

D, A, B, Z, and Ak said...

Have you ever sat in a crappy chair??? Makes the comfortable ones worth it and hard to part with! I agree - good call on the cover. Sounds like a win-win!